Thursday, October 27, 2016

30, 100, or 365 Days? How Long Should Your Creative Challenge last?


You probably think my answer will be 100 days because I teach this class

A 100 Day Challenge for Creative and Artistic Growth

But the answer is it depends.  Ask yourself...
What do I want to get out of the project?  
How much time do I have to devote to the challenge?
How hard do I want to push myself?
The answers to these questions will determine what type of challenge is right for you.

For example, if you want an intense challenge to push yourself to complete a creative project then a 30 day challenge such as National Novel Writing Month might be right for you.  It's a deep dive to fully immerse yourself but generally not a schedule you can sustain for a long time.  (Get ready NaNoWriMo starts Nov 1!)

But maybe instead you want to establish a daily habit, then a year long challenge might be right for you.  New Year is the perfect day to start a 365 day challenge and set the theme for your year.  And when the year is up you can decide to keep going or pick a new challenge.  Here's an example Movie Poster a Day.

And of course, 100 days is somewhere in between.  Short enough to push yourself and long enough to build up a body of work and grow your creative talent.  Like my own photography challenge #100daysofXena.

No comments: